Learn About Fly Tying & More
Here is some information on fly tying and how to use yarn when you tie flies.
FLY TYING IN GENERAL
- Is it cheaper to tie your own flies or buy them?
- Pros and cons of buying flies vs. tying your own
- Best cheap fly tying vises for beginners
- Suggested tools for fly tying beginners
- Suggested fly tying materials for beginners (and where to buy them)
- Super simple (and free!) DIY bodkins for fly tying
USING YARN FOR FLY TYING
- Why use yarn for fly tying?
- Wool yarn fly styles << Definitely read this!
- Our yarn color guide
- How many flies can you tie with our yarn lengths?
- Variegated yarn vs. solid yarn
- How to store fly tying yarn
- Using two yarn colors together
- What packaging do the yarns come in?
- How to use poly yarn for fly tying
These flies catch a lot of fish. They are general-purpose tenkara-style flies that use yarn:
- Modified Utah Killer Kebari
- Idaho Killer Kebari
- Waldo Kebari
- Old Man Kebari
- Yarn Ishigaki Kebari
- More coming soon!
This isn't a yarn fly, but it's one I do use quite often:
Here are some links (books, articles, videos, etc.) to other fly tying resources and tutorials elsewhere online that you might find helpful. Clicking a link will open up the page in a new tab. MORE TO COME SOON!
- Tenkara Kebari book (on Amazon)
- Simple Flies book (on Amazon)
- Simple Yarn Tenkara Flies (at Tenkara Talk)
- Tom’s Four Favorite Wool Bodied Flies for Tenkara (at Tenkara Angler)
- Emerging Caddis Kebari (on YouTube)
- Fly Tying in 3 Basic Steps w/ Jason Sparks (on YouTube)